It Takes Two to Talk
The It Takes Two to Talk Program is designed for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay. In a small, personalized group setting, parents learn strategies to help their children learn language in a natural way.
The It Takes Two to Talk Program teaches parents, step-by-step, how to become their child’s most important language teacher. The program shows you how to:
- Recognize your child’s stage and style of communication so that you know which steps to take next
- Identify what motivates your child to interact with you so you’ll know how to get conversations started
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns and keep interactions going
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Add language to interactions with your child to help him understand language and then use it when he is ready
- Tweak the way you play and read books with your child to help him learn language
- Change the way you speak to your child so that he’ll understand and learn new words
How does it work?
- 6-8 training sessions for parents in small, personalized groups
- A Hanen Certified speech-language pathologist leading the program
- A pre-program consultation for you and your child with the speech-language pathologist
- Three individual visits for you and your child with the speech-language pathologist in which you are videotaped while practicing strategies to help your child achieve specific communication goals. You and the speech-language pathologist then watch the videotaped interaction to “see” what’s helping your child and what you can modify to help even more.
It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays is the guidebook you’ll use throughout the program to support your learning. This guidebook outlines all of the strategies covered in the program with very practical examples of what to say and do with your child to promote his language skills.